28 July 2012

Review: The Lure of Shapinsay

Title: The Lure of Shapinsay
Author: Krista Holle
Publisher: Sweet River Romance
Release Date: December 16, 2011
Format: Paperback
Source: Author for Review
Rating: Covet


Ever since Kait Swanney could remember, the old crones of the village have been warning her to stay away from the selkies. They claim that like sirens of old, the seal men creep from the inky waters, shed their skins, and entice women to their deaths beneath the North Sea. But avoiding an encounter becomes impossible when Kait is spotted at the water's edge, moments after the murder of a half-selkie infant.
Kait is woken unexpectedly by a beautiful selkie man seeking revenge. After she declares her innocence, the intruder darts into the night, but not before inadvertently bewitching her with an overpowering lure.She obsesses over a reunion deep beneath the bay and risks her own life to be reunited with her selkie. But when she lands the dangerous lover, the chaos that follows leaves Kait little time to wonder—is it love setting her on fire or has she simply been lured?

*My Review* 

I was shocked at how quickly I fell into Kait's world! I was contacted by Krista, the author, and when I read the synopsis I knew I had to read The Lure of Shapinsay. This book was something VERY different for the other books I have been reading. This was a completely original book, with a unique and passionate story line.

The selkie people have now caught my attention! To be completely honest I had never heard of them. So before I read the book I did a little research on these seal people. Who does research to read a book? Is what your thinking, but I do! Krista has taken this lovely legend that has been over shadowed by vampires, angels, and even mermaids and created a beautiful and intoxicating tale of love, lost, and heartbreak.

The characters where easy to love. I instantly grew attached to Kait. And Eamon was difficult at times..but I still loved him! I understood why Kait was the way she was, but one thing that bugged me was how far she would go for Eamon. Sure she loves him, but some of her actions where questionable. Eamon was a pain through a lot of the book, but as you read more about him you start to understand why he was acting the way he was.

I do recommend this for an older audience! It was mostly clean, but their are a few parts that young eyes should not read :P One of my favorite things about this book was the alternating point of views. It switched between Kait and Eamon. I really like this! You where able to see into bother characters mind.

Overall, this book has been one of my favorites I have read this year. It was just what I needed to get back into the swing of things! :D

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like an interesting read. Definitely need to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just wrote my review of this and will be publishing this tomorrow. Glad you enjoyed it. I liked reading your review to see how it compared to what I thought. And I love your blog! Your header is gorgeous, and the content is great of course.
    If you're interested in seeing my review, come check out my review- should be up sometime tomorrow:)
    http://www.dogearedandcoffeestained.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment! I love to hear from you. If you leave your blog link I will check it out! :)

Welcome to my blog!

Randy's Reads is mainly a YA book review blog. We also feature weekly memes, guest post, interviews, giveaways, and more. Look around, check out our giveaways, or read some reviews. Enjoy!

Recent Reviews


Revealing Eden by Victoria Foyt




When I read Dystopian books, I either love them or hate them. Most of the time I just can not connect with the characters, and sometimes it's the setting. But with Revealing Eden I was completely captivated with the world Victoria created.

Steel by Carrie Vaughn




Time travel and pirates. These are two words that I love to hear! I have always love time travel, and pirates have always interested me. So finding this book was like finding a buried treasure! ( why yes, that was super cheesy, but I couldn't resist!) In fact a book I am writing now has to do with time travel. :D hehe!

The Queen of Kentucky by Alecia Witaker




The Queen of Kentucky is a book that I, as a Kentucky native myself, could relate to. Being able to relate to the characters and the surroundings really made me enjoy this book. The Queen of Kentucky is one of those books that has such a great message.

Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi




As soon as I got this book I tore into it! I could not wait to read it! And once I started Under the Never Sky it never let my hand. :) This is by far one of my favorite dystopian novels that I have read this year! Veronica really surprised me with her debut! Think of Under the Never Sky as awesome as Angelfire, and if you know me at all then you know that this novel blew my socks off! it!

Authors, Publishers, and Agents!

I would love to review your work, hold contests, and/or interview you! Please refer to my Review Policy, before contacting me (Just to learn more). You can email me at:
horselovercutie@yahoo.com

Don't be afraid to contact me. I would love to hear from you!

Followers

Grab My Button!

My{reads}da

Follow Me!

Currently Reading


goodreads.com

The Talisman Street Team

The Sapphire Talisman

Books I Have To Review

Visitors Since July 6, 2011

Review Disclaimer

All reviews posted on 'Randy's Reads' are the truth on how I feel about the book. Receiving books from outside sources has no effect on my review.