26 March 2012

Review: Steel

Title: Steel
Author: Carrie Vaughn
Publisher: Harper Teen
Release Date: March 15, 2011
Format: Hardcover
Source: Purchased
Rating: Acquire 

 

It was a slender length of rusted steel, tapered to a point at one end and jagged at the other, as if it had broken. A thousand people would step over it and think it trash, but not her.

This was the tip of a rapier.

Sixteen-year-old Jill has fought in dozens of fencing tournaments, but she has never held a sharpened blade. When she finds a corroded sword piece on a Caribbean beach, she is instantly intrigued and pockets it as her own personal treasure.

The broken tip holds secrets, though, and it transports Jill through time to the deck of a pirate ship. Stranded in the past and surrounded by strangers, she is forced to sign on as crew. But a pirate’s life is bloody and brief, and as Jill learns about the dark magic that brought her there, she forms a desperate scheme to get home—one that risks everything in a duel to the death with a villainous pirate captain.

Time travel, swordplay, and romance combine in an original high-seas adventure from New York Times bestseller Carrie Vaughn.

*My Review* 

Time travel and pirates. These are two words that I love to hear! I have always love time travel, and pirates have always interested me. So finding this book was like finding a buried treasure! ( why yes, that was super cheesy, but I couldn't resist!) In fact a book I am writing now has to do with time travel. :D hehe!

I haven't heard much about this book and haven't seen it on to many blogs, but when I saw it at the store I just HAD to get it! The beautiful cover called to me! :3 so I ended up getting it, and then it sat on my shelf for a few months. When I finally picked it up, I could not put it down! I was so captivated in the story line. (If you know me you know I love History!) 

The main character, Jill, was a difficult character for me at first. She can't let things go, she's a lot like me, and she lets it eat her up inside. Other then that I loved her characters. She's another kick-butt heroin. Henry was perfect thats all I'm going to say. :3 He makes me happy. The only thing I wanted was more of the lovey dovey stuff!

Carrie does a fantastic job of creating the setting. You feel as if you are right their with Jill as she is sailing, or sword fighting for her life. You also learn a thing or two about being a pirate and controlling a ship. 

Have you ever fenced? No, me either and in Steel there are a few fencing terms . The terminology in this book isn't really confusing, but do not fear! Carrie has been so kind to include a dictionary in the back of the book for your convenience. :)

Overall I loved the whole idea of the book. Time traveling by something I'm not going to say and landing on a ship with a very fine pirate named Henry. Hey! I want to go next. It also provides us another outlook on pirates. They're not all bad! 

*Key Points*


  • A great setting. And very descriptive.
  • Jill is a great heroin, and Henry is just perfect!
  • Fencing is awesome!
  • Provides us another outlook on pirates.
  • TIME TRAVEL

2 comments:

  1. I remember seeing this book in the store a long time ago, but I had never heard much about it and I still haven't until now. After reading your review, I am going to have to check this one out it really sounds quite interesting.

    And it's awesome to see that you're blogging again. <3 And you're working on a book?!? You're on a roll. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked this book when I read it over half a year ago. There were several just really beautiful passages and it did give a different side to pirates. I can't wait to read more by this author :)

    Thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment! I love to hear from you. If you leave your blog link I will check it out! :)

Welcome to my blog!

Randy's Reads is mainly a YA book review blog. We also feature weekly memes, guest post, interviews, giveaways, and more. Look around, check out our giveaways, or read some reviews. Enjoy!

Recent Reviews


Revealing Eden by Victoria Foyt




When I read Dystopian books, I either love them or hate them. Most of the time I just can not connect with the characters, and sometimes it's the setting. But with Revealing Eden I was completely captivated with the world Victoria created.

Steel by Carrie Vaughn




Time travel and pirates. These are two words that I love to hear! I have always love time travel, and pirates have always interested me. So finding this book was like finding a buried treasure! ( why yes, that was super cheesy, but I couldn't resist!) In fact a book I am writing now has to do with time travel. :D hehe!

The Queen of Kentucky by Alecia Witaker




The Queen of Kentucky is a book that I, as a Kentucky native myself, could relate to. Being able to relate to the characters and the surroundings really made me enjoy this book. The Queen of Kentucky is one of those books that has such a great message.

Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi




As soon as I got this book I tore into it! I could not wait to read it! And once I started Under the Never Sky it never let my hand. :) This is by far one of my favorite dystopian novels that I have read this year! Veronica really surprised me with her debut! Think of Under the Never Sky as awesome as Angelfire, and if you know me at all then you know that this novel blew my socks off! it!

Authors, Publishers, and Agents!

I would love to review your work, hold contests, and/or interview you! Please refer to my Review Policy, before contacting me (Just to learn more). You can email me at:
horselovercutie@yahoo.com

Don't be afraid to contact me. I would love to hear from you!

Followers

Grab My Button!

My{reads}da

Follow Me!

Currently Reading


goodreads.com

The Talisman Street Team

The Sapphire Talisman

Books I Have To Review

Visitors Since July 6, 2011

Review Disclaimer

All reviews posted on 'Randy's Reads' are the truth on how I feel about the book. Receiving books from outside sources has no effect on my review.