09 January 2012

Review: Devoted

Title: Devoted
Author: Hilary Duff
Publisher: Simon & Schuster 
Release Date: September 29, 2011
Format: Hardcover
Source: Purchased
Rating: Borrow

Since Sage was kidnapped, Clea has no way of knowing if he is alive or dead. And even though she has only just discovered they were soulmates, she feels like a part of her is lost forever. What’s worse, she can’t even turn to her best friend Ben—because every time she looks at him, all she sees is his betrayal.
But waiting for something to happen is not an option, so Clea is ready for action. Suffering through dreams of seeing Sage with another woman, she makes an uneasy alliance with Sage’s enemies and sets out to be reunited with Sage...in this life or the next.
 My Review
I must admit that I was slightly disappointed with this book. As a result of how I felt about this book my review is going to be slightly shorter then most. Hilary's first book in this series, Elixir, was decent. I was surprised to actually like like it! Having high hopes for her second novel, I ran out to buy it the day it hit shelves. I wish I would have waited and just borrowed it from the library. 


Elixer had a perfect, well close to perfect, plot! But in Devoted it seems like Hilary didn't really think the book through. You keep waiting and waiting for the climax, and then BAM! The climax comes and then the book ends. Yes, I get that some authors want to leave their readers in suspense, but Hilary left us clueless to what was going to happen. 


The characters also were a disappointment. Clea is heartbroken. And yea I get when your heartbroken life sucks, but Clea takes it to a whole new level! The first few chapters are just of her mopping around, feeling sorry for herself. What about her dad? Has she just given up on him, and now only cars about Sage? I know love can make people do stupid things, but really? Ben really upset me in this book. He seemed like a completely different person at first! Then Sage just made me furious! 


I just really could not get in to this book. Yes, I finished it. But mostly because I bought it with my good money! It was not the worst book I read, but I was disappointed with Devoted. I might read the next book in the series. MIGHT is the key word.
Key Points

  • I liked the first book, but Devoted left me disappointed. 
  • The characters drove me crazy!
  • I might pick up the next book in the series.

1 comment:

  1. I still need to read her first book. I have it on my shelf just scared to read it I guess. I'm sure someone is helping her to write these or writing them for her but I just don't know how I would feel about all of this when I read it....

    Hmm, thanks for the great review that is making me second guess even starting this series.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment! I love to hear from you. If you leave your blog link I will check it out! :)

Welcome to my blog!

Randy's Reads is mainly a YA book review blog. We also feature weekly memes, guest post, interviews, giveaways, and more. Look around, check out our giveaways, or read some reviews. Enjoy!

Recent Reviews


Revealing Eden by Victoria Foyt




When I read Dystopian books, I either love them or hate them. Most of the time I just can not connect with the characters, and sometimes it's the setting. But with Revealing Eden I was completely captivated with the world Victoria created.

Steel by Carrie Vaughn




Time travel and pirates. These are two words that I love to hear! I have always love time travel, and pirates have always interested me. So finding this book was like finding a buried treasure! ( why yes, that was super cheesy, but I couldn't resist!) In fact a book I am writing now has to do with time travel. :D hehe!

The Queen of Kentucky by Alecia Witaker




The Queen of Kentucky is a book that I, as a Kentucky native myself, could relate to. Being able to relate to the characters and the surroundings really made me enjoy this book. The Queen of Kentucky is one of those books that has such a great message.

Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi




As soon as I got this book I tore into it! I could not wait to read it! And once I started Under the Never Sky it never let my hand. :) This is by far one of my favorite dystopian novels that I have read this year! Veronica really surprised me with her debut! Think of Under the Never Sky as awesome as Angelfire, and if you know me at all then you know that this novel blew my socks off! it!

Authors, Publishers, and Agents!

I would love to review your work, hold contests, and/or interview you! Please refer to my Review Policy, before contacting me (Just to learn more). You can email me at:
horselovercutie@yahoo.com

Don't be afraid to contact me. I would love to hear from you!

Followers

Grab My Button!

My{reads}da

Follow Me!

Currently Reading


goodreads.com

The Talisman Street Team

The Sapphire Talisman

Books I Have To Review

Visitors Since July 6, 2011

Review Disclaimer

All reviews posted on 'Randy's Reads' are the truth on how I feel about the book. Receiving books from outside sources has no effect on my review.